Adventures in Stamp Making January 26th

In the past three days we've been getting almost nonstop snowfall, which is a welcome sight as it has been very dry here for the past six or seven months. An ice storm passed through on Sunday, and since then it has been very cold. Here are pictures from today, the first "snow day" of the school year (Soren and I still had online classes).





In my opinion, the mountains are prettiest in winter. The town...isn't.




In the past two or so weeks I've been experimenting with making stamps out of wood. At first I tried carving the design into the wood (the circular stamps) and after that didn't work I tried carving a raised stamp out of softer wood (the triangles), which worked out quite nicely.





The stamp:




To make the design I used a knife to cut out the middle triangle, and a carving gouge to remove the wood surrounding the outer triangle. Initially I wanted to use the gouge for printmaking, but it turned out to be too large. It works great for this purpose, thankfully, because it cost me a pretty penny out of pocket.




Our new cat Patty, who we got in early November, has adjusted to our home perfectly. In fact, she took complete control from the moment she walked in, so it's more like her home now. She's an energetic old lady at age 10 and rarely stays still, as you can see in the picture.




That paper bag has become her best friend lately.




Here are some clouds I saw on a walk with Yukon. Colorado Springs isn't looking so hot, as usual during the winter season. The cold finally arrived after a very warm fall, and it'll probably stay until May. It's a bit drab, but the mountains are very pretty. 




And that concludes everything interesting that's been happening around here.

Comments

  1. Love the blog! That cloud shot is beautiful and the stamps are very cool. I'm so glad for Patty that she found the perfect home with the Williams/Johanson crew. Thanks for sharing Nora. I look forward to future installments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! This is a great way for me to stay up on all the goings on in your neck of the woods. What a great idea to have your own blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how much Patty loves that paper bag. I can't move it now. Great post, Nora! Can't wait to see your hike pictures. love, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I also like the way you experimented with cutting those stamps. You come from a distinguished family of bloggers! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Durango, Mesa Verde, etc. August 3-5

Hitting the Incline, March 14